Sending secure Excel workbooks with Confidencial
Let’s say you are Alice, an employee at an organization that is using Confidencial, and you want to send a protected Excel workbook to your coworker, Bob, who is not using Confidencial. This tutorial walks you through how to do that.
- In Excel, open or create the Excel workbook that you want to protect
- Add the recipients for whom you want to protect the workbook by clicking in the recipient adder and entering in an email address. In this example, we are encrypting for firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Since Bob is not an existing user, click Send Invite to… to invite him to Confidencial
- Now that Bob has been invited, select his email to add him as a recipient of the workbook
- You (Alice) and Bob now appear in the recipients list
The recipients list determines who can view protected content. You are automatically added as a recipient of any message or file you encrypt, so you will always be able to decrypt any message or file you protect.
- Click Encrypt Workbook
- The workbook is now protected. Save the workbook in Excel.
By default, Confidencial encrypts the entire workbook. If you want to encrypt only certain parts of the workbook, click the “gear” menu and choose Encrypt Selection.
Pro tip: Even after you’ve protected a workbook by clicking Encrypt Workbook, you can add additional content to your workbook - this content will remain visible to anyone who has access to the workbook. The protected content that you encrypted in the previous step will still only be visible to the people you designate in the recipients list.
- Use the messaging tool of your choice (Outlook, Teams, Slack, etc.) to send the workbook to your coworker, Bob. In this example, we will use Slack.
Note that even though the workbook has been encrypted with Confidencial, it remains a valid .xlsx file (Example.xlsx) and can thus still be opened in Excel - no special viewer is required
Bob now has the Confidencial protected Excel workbook. He will view the protected contents of this workbook by following the instructions in Viewing secure Excel workbooks with Confidencial.