Re-encrypting a Word document and changing who can see protected content
Re-encrypting a Word document for the original recipientsRe-encrypting a Word document for a new group of recipients
- Click Re-encrypt Before Saving in the Confidencial task pane
- Save the document
This will protect all content in the document for the original group of recipients
If the document was in the protected state (encrypted content not visible) during the last time you saved the document, you can also close the document without saving. This will leave the document in the protected state with the original recipients intact. However, it is best practice to click Re-encrypt Before Saving and re-save the document to guarantee that the document is saved in the protected state.
If you save and share the document before clicking Re-encrypt Before Saving, all decrypted contents in the document will be visible to anyone who gains access to and opens the document.
- Remove encryption from the content for which you want to change the recipients
- If the document is using whole-document encryption, click Remove All Encryption in the Confidencial task pane
- If the document is using selective encryption (only parts of the document are encrypted), for each part that you want to encrypt for a different group of recipients, select the part, then click Remove Selected Encryption in the Confidencial task pane
- With Confidencial protection removed from the necessary parts of the document, you can now re-encrypt the content for a new group of recipients
- If you are using whole-document encryption, select the recipients you want to encrypt for in the Confidencial task pane and click Encrypt Document
- If you are encrypting only parts of the document, one-at-a-time select each part of the document you want to encrypt, select the recipients you want to encrypt for in the Confidencial task pane, and click Encrypt Selection
This will re-encrypt the entire document for the new group of recipients and put the document in the protected state. The document can now be safely distributed.
This will re-encrypt the parts for the new group of recipients and put the document in the protected state. The document can now be safely distributed.